What is the Apo E gene?
The Apo E gene plays a key role in our body’s internal environment and influences the development of chronic disease, especially heart and Alzheimer’s disease. The Apo E Gene Diet focuses on the prevention and reversal of serious diseases such as:
- Heart Disease
- High Blood Pressure
- Alzheimer’s Disease
- Obesity and Weight Problems
- Chronic Illnesses
The specific Apo E genes you inherited from your parents greatly influences your predisposition to certain illnesses, including heart disease, vascular dementia, Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, and cancer. For example, persons with the Apo E 4/4 genotype could have up to a 90% chance of developing a chronic illness such as Alzheimer’s disease. Maintaining an optimal diet and lifestyle for your particular Apo E gene type is known as a “gene-supportive environment” (GSE). Doing so can dramatically reduce your risk of developing these chronic illnesses. That’s why the Apo E Gene Diet was created.
How to approach Apo E Gene testing?
- Make an appointment with IMCI’s medical director, Dr. Esther Konigsberg, for an Integrative Medicine Assessment, Apo E gene testing via cheek swab, advanced cholesterol testing and body composition and metabolic testing. (Dr. Konigsberg has been trained by Pamela McDonald):
It is a good idea to read the first 5 chapters of The Perfect Gene Diet by Pamela McDonald Rn.P. which will support you in making an informed decision as to whether you want to know your Apo E genotype.
- Follow-up to review results, receive your written health plan and the Apo E Gene Diet.
The Apo E Gene Diet
The foundation of the Apo E Gene Diet is a nutritional plan that focuses on eating the optimal percentages of The Big Three food groups; carbohydrates, proteins and fats, for your specific Apo E gene type. One diet does not fit all because each Apo E genotype processes foods differently. There is a unique optimal combination of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins in the ideal diet for each of the six Apo E genotypes. Creating this optimal balance in your diet provides the foundation for your good health.
A personalized plan for your Apo E genotype will guide you in choosing the optimal:
- fat content with the correct types of fats
- carbohydrate content with the correct types of carbohydrates
- protein content with the correct types of proteins
- caloric content for your needs
- amount and kind of exercise appropriate for you
Most of the existing dietary recommendations are based on the assumption that one diet is appropriate for everyone. These diets fail to accomplish long-term weight loss or optimal disease prevention because we are not all the same. In reality, diet and exercise recommendations must be individualized, beginning with a person’s genetic foundation. The Apo E Gene Diet focuses on an individual’s genetic recipe, creating dietary and exercise recommendations for each of the six possible Apo E gene types. No other program does this. In addition, the Apo E Gene Diet is blended with IMCI’s Integrative Medicine’s approach.